If caring for others is your career goal, you may have considered the medical profession.
There are many jobs related to health care. If caring for others is your career goal, you may have considered the medical profession. But many other options can lead you to that goal that you may not have considered yet. And among them is the job of an occupational therapist. Want to know what it involves?
What Does It Involve? – Occupational Therapist Definition
During the illness process, many people need someone to help them return to normal activity. This involves long-term daily work that cannot be done by doctors. This is where the occupational therapist comes in.
Their work focuses on recovery through education. The goal is for the patient to achieve greater autonomy and optimal quality of life. To this end, they will implement a strategy adapted to each patient to improve their mental and physical health. Among many other activities, an occupational therapist will help with:
- Bathing and dressing. Many patients have difficulty performing the most basic activities. An occupational therapist will work with them to achieve the necessary autonomy. But they will also function as a support in carrying them out daily.
- Play and leisure. Leisure time is necessary to develop as a person, not only in children! Many injuries or illnesses can prevent the correct development of leisure time.
- Sleep. A patient with sleep difficulties can benefit from the help of an occupational therapist. With sleep therapies supported by medication, rest can improve exponentially.
- Mobility. In all senses, both individually and a vehicle. Relearning to drive or walk is a very common therapy in occupational therapy.
- Safety. Of course, there are many cases in which maintaining safety at home is necessary, especially in patients with mental illness. Correct daily measures to avoid major problems are the task of the occupational therapist.
How Much Could You Win? – Occupational Therapist Salary
Do you like the sound of the profession? Being an occupational therapist has a lot to do with vocation and personal fulfilment since you will be sure that your work serves to help others. But, of course, it is also very important to know what your salary will be.
In the US, the average salary is around $70,000/year. In Europe and the UK, it’s different. For example, in Spain, an occupational therapist can earn 35,000€/year, but in Germany, it is almost twice as much. In France, it is around 55,000€/year. And an occupational therapist in the UK will earn about £50,000/year.
To this, of course, you will have to add possible bonuses, which are very common in occupational therapy. To get a better idea of how much is earned in your area, it’s a good idea to research occupational therapist vacancies on Jobstoday.world. You’ll be able to get a much better idea of what the average salary is near you.
Find the Best Occupational Therapy School – Get Trained
Of course, occupational therapy is a regulated healthcare job, which requires specific education. If you are interested in this job of helping others with their recovery, you will have to study for several years.
Each country has its own laws regarding OT, so you will need to study them in-depth to know what certifications and licenses are required. However, you will usually need a Bachelor’s Degree and specific training at an occupational therapy school. You will be there for two or three years and will do fieldwork to get used to the day-to-day.
When you consider studying occupational therapy, you will be looking for the best education. That’s why we have compiled for you the ranking of the best schools in the world.
According to EduRank, the best occupational therapy school in the world is the University of Washington – Seattle. It is followed by the University of Queensland, the University of Toronto and the University of Pittsburgh. In the fifth position is the University of Michigan. In Europe, the highest rated is the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm.
If the idea of becoming an occupational therapist sounds good to you, you can take a look at our website, Jobstoday.world. There you can find many offers that you can study to find out the requirements and conditions. The job of your dreams is here, what are you waiting for? Let’s work together.
Looking to Become an Occupational Therapist in 2022? Follow our Pro Tip